Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

YW. Just think--soon you can start the 'N7-rolling process.

My 2 recommendations are the affordable Ken-Rad in parallel or staggered plate versions, VT-231 or not, seems not to matter. In the really-high-end bracket, the Tung-Sol RoundPlate. These are fairly rare and sometimes rather expensive, with prices varying from maybe $60 to $250 EACH depending on condition, with most in the $100 - $150 range.

I find the KRs to be VERY well balanced, with a touch of warmth, very clean MR and treble, with the latter being at just the right level for me, which is NOT too much. Most other 'N7s are a tad tizzy for me. Some find the KRs' bass to be stronger than that of other 'N7s, but I've not heard that.

The RPs are about the same as the KRs but are slightly more spacious. I'm now collecting RPs, slowly and carefully.

V1 is the Voltage-gain stage while V2 is the driver. That means that you'll hear differences among tubes in the 1st position more readily than in the 2nd. Both 'N7s have the triodes connected as SRPPs; see linked thread for that discussion. BTW my dealer highly recommends old RCA blackplates for the 6L6; I bought 2 pairs but I couldn't hear diffferences in the short-term.
-------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and obsessed landscape fotografer.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.