Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I'm sure many here will disagree with me, but IMO the quality of the powersupply...

...and circuit topology and execution affect the sound of an SET amp more than the choice of triode output tube.

Personally, I think SETs benefit MORE than higher-power amps from having more power than one 'needs', because most SETs' distortion curves are more linear than those of push-pull or solidstate amps. The latters' curves are usually quite flat until the amp approaches or reaches clipping, at ehich point the distortion rises VERY rapidle, but an SET's curve increases earlier, that is, at lower power. Said another way, the distortion plot of an SET is straighter and rises more quickly. SO...it's best to keep an SET oparating in the lower, say, quarter of its power range rather than at half and higher power.

The 845 and 805 triodes were designed as radio-frequency-transmitting tubes, but they work VERY well at audio frequencies. A typical 845-based SET will have 20 - 25 Watts while an 805-based amp will have 40 - 50 Watts.

NJ, huh? Next time you're in Phoenix, look me up.
-------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and obsessed landscape fotografer.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.