Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

We're Talking About the FE166E for Sealed Boxes and 94dB Efficiency

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info! I think you know this, but just to clarify, Paul and I were talking about sealed boxes to limit low frequency excursion, so your BR comments wouldn't apply there.

I certainly agree the FX120 has a gorgeous frequency response, perhaps the best I've seen, just a little dip at 20K, nice with your tweeter. Unfortunately the 89dB sensitivity is a deal breaker for me--what are you going to use to drive yours?

I'm no fan of whizzer cones either, and was torn over the FF225K, which has high efficiency, smooth response, and a nice rolloff at 11K that just begs for a tweeter. But I finally decided against it because of the upward tilt to its response.

So I'm leaning towards the FE166E as the best mid-through-high spectral balance in a 94dB (or better) efficient speaker, whizzer be d***ed. And it'll be in a sealed box and used with a sub, so low end is not an issue. Thanks for your insights--and any others.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.