Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Thanks Paul--Highpass Question? Re: Sure it's not your amp ....

Haha! Yes, I was referring to the "S.E.X.y Speaker" design which we've posted for anyone to use. We came up with that after we were unhappy with the ported box.

I wanted to make this as easy as possible, thinking of customers who might have bought our cheapest amp, so I kept it simple. But I do believe an additional crossover would be an improvement. Here's the deal:

1) The original is a sealed box with fullrange drive; this makes a second order (12dB/octave) rolloff and the small box gives a Q in the range of 0.5 (Linkwitz/Riley) to 0.7 (Butterworth) depending on the amp's damping factor. This matches well with a second order (12dB/octave) powered "sub"woofer, such as the less expensive models from Parts Express. (I put "sub" in quotes because I am using them as woofers, and the smaller/cheaper ones don't go down to 20Hz... :^)

2) With an additional, external line level crossover, 12dB/octave, this same system would produce a fourth order (24dB/octave) acoustic crossover, which I expect to have significant further benefits. I've not been able to prototype this yet, but recent developments make it more practical and I expect to have something to listen to in the next few months. This becomes complicated because of the variety of subwoofers. Some are 12dB/octave and would need an external 12dB/octave filter. Some are actually 24dB/octave and need no additional filter. And some have a fixed 12dB filter (usualy in the 100Hz-200Hz range) plus another, variable 12dB filter. These are sold as "24dB/octave" but it's not easy to determine exactly how best to make them act like 24dB/octave L-R filters at a particular frequency. In some cases it's nearly impossible to determine what the device actually does in this respect. And with a 120Hz crossover, you really need to get it right - just playing with the controls is not likely to get you an optimum.

That's not to even address the idea of a separate sub crossover, used with a "normal" amp. Which I'd love to do - a handy way to use that solid-state boat anchor you gave up on when you discovered SET magic!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.