Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: A really big can of worms

“could be causing”

Engineers and scientists don't work on "could", they work on IS. It's the same silly arguement as the cables. Proponents of certain equipment just like certain cables are long on theories and generalities and very short of facts and data. They would have you believe that the process of improvement is infinite, and that there is no point beyond which further electrical improvement doesn't offer any usable audible benefit. They claim they can hear what can't be measured. This is extremely self serving to those in the business of making and selling products because it opens the door to an infinite number of new and improved models which can never be tested to see if they actually are of usable value over the previous art. This is rediculous and it is not the way of science. Scientists establish the absolute criteria beyond which further improvement cannot be usable because of the limits of human perception and then they find a way to measure their designs against those criteria. Once they have bettered them, there is no need to go any further except to make their designs cheaper, smaller, more efficient or more reliable.

"BUT just because you can’t hear it you can’t sit there and say that it doesn’t matter."

Take my word for it, if you can hear it, it CAN be measured. OK, don't take my word for it. Next time you take a hearing test, ask your audiologist. And if you can't hear it, it really doesn't matter. In fact, many times reproducing what is inaudible creates new problems without offering any benefits. There would be no reason for a television set to be designed to reproduce infrared and ultraviolet colors. They also add nothing of benefit.

"Soundmind you are really an old dog that can’t learn to sit, and clearly under your sun there are nothing new…"

Under my sun, there are facts and there is hype. Hype is used when there are no facts to sell to uninformed or untrained people what more knowledgeable people will pass off with a laugh. At least in that regard, you're right, there is nothing new. And you are also right about the fact I don't just sit passively for a lot of it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.