Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Can of worms

Well, the high feed back amplifier and the golden A amp both distort the signal - one in a pleasant way, possibly due to dynamic expansion due to power supply non-linearity and the other ina not so pleasant way, with slew limited distortions. Nothing wrong abouteither amplifier. I remember a demo I did for a customer about 1980 - He wanted to compare two $600 Amps - the Apt-Holman power amp, and the SAE 3000 (this was the third generation SAE product with lots of off seas supplied components and assembly - Generally panned by the audio press.) He brought in his L166 JBL speakers and wedid some listening. Now in our store's (Henry Radio) set-up we could level balance separate amps with the same input applied and we did this in this setup by ear with a pink noise signal. I expected the APT to sound better than the SAE as it seamed to do with most of the speakers we sold (B&W, DCM, Advents, and others...) but in this case the characteristics of the SAE obviously "locked in" with the JBL's - and the SAE was the choice of the customer - dirt bag left and bought it from mail order for a C-note less. A good hour and a half wasted , 'cept as prop head fodder. The Apt no doubt the better amp - whatever nonlinearities the SAE had compliments those of the 166's...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Can of worms - gymwear5@hotmail.com 22:04:03 01/01/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.