Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: You can’t compare the end result.

"If audio where purely electronic our brains would be connected directly to the amplifiers via cable, without the need of loudspeakers and our ears."

Well an audio recording/reproduction system (you have to look at the entirety of the process from beginning to end, this is where I disagree with some of the other posters here) will require transducers to interface the real world, amplifiers are purely electronic and the feedback loop is confined go them. In the controls systems example, the loops include the mechanical response too. When TOTAL harmonic distortion is measured in tenths and hundreths of one percent, it doesn't matter how it is spread out. I believe that they are all inaudible. BTW, if you don't think errors in control systems are important, think again. If an amplifier feedback system fails, the worst that can happen is it goes into spontaneous oscillation and blows up destroying a device which at most is worth a few thousand dollars and frankly its parts are worth only a few hundred. If an industrial controls system fails or the design is faulty, the damage to equipment and machinery can easily run into the millions and that doesn't even count the consequential damages such as loss of production or use of a facility which might contain laboratories, data centers, offices which countless other people depend on to earn a living.

BTW, I think 70 to 75 db S/N ratio for vinyl is a little optimistic. I think realistically, at least for most of what was produced in the real world, 55/60 is more like it. Not that it matters for most music such as pop or rock which has a dynamic range of about 10 to 15 db. It's only when you get to classical music that you push the dynamic range envelope to its technological limits and that only represents a small fragment of the market.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.