Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: 3rd harmonic distortion

You are sooo right John...

"Back in the '60's, I was very sure that negative feedback was the best thing since sliced bread! ;-)... Unfortunately, I found that negative feedback did not sound as good as it made the measurements."

This is my experience too, but for me the first part was in the late part of the 80's, you know I was born 1968, still young yet...

Many people seem to look at feeback an distortion in the same (but wrong) manner as "Inverse Distortion Cancellation" whith several stages (Or push pull and complementeary stages, whitch work in the same way). I had a hard time to explain to people that only even (2.nd, 4:th ...) harmonics could be cancelled. Julius Postal wrote a good article whith a graphical explanation ("Simplified Push_Pull Theory" Audio Enginering, May 1953) whitch show this in a easy way.

Many of these old papers and articles are intresting to read and most of it still holds true. But yes, there's been progress in many ways and new things has been discoverd. Just look at Walt and SID...

I am patient and I know that all will not be revealed at once...
Some people seem to think that the subjekt of distortion cancellation is easy, but it aint. The 3:rd harmonic cancellation only occur at low levels of feedback whith bjt's and I have not seen it whith other dewices as fet's or tubes.

I found the book "Analog Integrated Circuits for Communication" but it will take a couple of weeks untill I get my hands on it.
I'm going to check the info you sent me tomorrow at the electronics department, it's getting real late here now. Got to sleep to.

Thanks for the papers and book tip.

Enjoy Creating / Mad Man Harju

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.