Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: 3rd harmonic distortion

Patience, Rolf. Not all will be revealed by what I sent you, but I did send you 8 pages total, with cover.
Of course, this amazed me, more than 30 years ago.
These folks seem to forget that many audio designers know all about the general use of negative feedback. We have taken university courses on it as well. Back in the '60's, I was very sure that negative feedback was the best thing since sliced bread! ;-)
I used to design velocity and position servos for Ampex, for both audio and video tape machines.
Unfortunately, I found that negative feedback did not sound as good as it made the measurements. Today, I use negative feedback sparingly in most of my designs, and attempt to eliminate it in my best efforts. The CTC preamp, which is my best effort in preamps, has no loop feedback and it is completely stable, so long as I keep the temperature inside the box at a constant temperature.
The first stage of my Vendetta phono stage also runs without any loop feedback. It has a low frequency gain of over 10,000 and it works fine, unless you blow on the raw circuit. Then it will get very noisy, of course. Feedback is overrated in audio applications.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.