Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: 3rd harmonic distortion

Wow did I struggle with those equations in control theory. Very complex. Then one day about 20 years ago I saw my first PLC and understood immediately what it was about. Modern industrial controls in machine design or building automation systems are unthinkable without PLCs and there is little more useful in a PLC than the ability to use negative feedback to exercise control over just about anything. I've taken a few hands on seminars in PLCs and tried a couple of simple programs but most PLC projects I've been involved in was as a project manager. However, in some of them, the overall concepts were my own. These involved HVAC controls to maintain positive pressure in laboratories with variable use of fume hoods. I also was involved in automation of a chiller plant. Negative feedback between a set point and a sensor output difference is invariably the driving force in every system I've seen. Amplifier circuits without negative feedback are actually completely out of control. No compensation at all for countless variables from temperature to bias drift. I would not think of buying one or owning one that didn't use negative feedback skillfully. OTOH, those who can't use this technique effectively are wise to stay away from it. In the wrong hands, it can be an unmitigated disaster.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.