Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Do not touch : "HIGH END AUDIO"

John, John

You never cease to amaze me.

That was argument - not a statement of fact. It couldn't have been a lie. In my opinion it was one of the most creative means every devised by an advocate to focus the jury's attention on a critical fact - the fact being that from the glove demonstration one would be likely to conclude that the glove did not fit OJ's hand and therefore OJ could not have been the murderer.

You make a blanket, offensive allegation and this is the best you can do to support it?

Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of what ethical constraints or requirements lawyers operate under? Ethical standards that carry with them the force of law under which we live. Do you happen to know where the line is drawn for lawyers as to what is appropriate for them to argue and not argue?

Are you aware of what a lawyer's obligation is when he knows his client will commit perjury if he testifies? Do you know what a lawyer's obligation is when he learns that a client is preparing to commit a crime? Do you know what a judge's obligation is when a lawyer crosses an ethical line in court.

Do you have any idea of the level of scrutiny and effort that has been expended now for decades in constantly refining and updating the rules of ethics to ensure the protection of clients and the public?

Have you ever read the rules of ethics that govern lawyers in your jurisdiction? If you had you would be hard put to point to much in those rules designed to protect the self-interest of lawyers.

Have you keep track of the disciplinary punishment handed out by the California bar against lawyers who breach the rules of ethics?

Do you have any idea of how much pro bono (free) work lawyers do each year? Do you have any idea of how that compares to the free services provided by other professions?

Do you have any glimmer of an idea of the amount of time lawyers contribute to various committees of their state bar associations and the American Bar Association where the goal is solely to improve laws to the general public benefit - with absolutely no possible monitary gain for the attorneys involved. In fact, much of the work done by lawyers in such organizations is actually aimed at reforming the law to streamline the judicial process to cut down on the amount of unnecessary legal expenses involved with unworkable laws and court procedures.

Are you aware of the fact that lawyers in such places as Arizona (with which I am most aware) and many other jurisdictions have pushed hard to impliment required court ordered mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods to cut down on the level of litigation that clogs the courts - costing the public millions of dollars in unnecessary legal fees and the taxpayers millions in taxes supporting unnecessary litigation?

Do you have any facts at all to support a claim that guilty people often go free? Have you noticed, by the way, the numerous cases that have begun to surface of innocent people freed after spending years in prison - freed now only because DNA analysis is now available.

Have you ever spoken to someone who has attended a conference of judges who can tell you the amount of work judges devote toward education and attempting to ensure we maintain a fair and efficient judicial system?

Have you ever thought of what you might propose as a good alternative to our judicial system?

Do you not understand that due process of law as a protection against the arbitrary power of government to take property, freedom and life is the primary element of our system that distinguishes us from despotism. Do you honestly believe that freedom is secured primarily by the right to vote rather than the protection of individual citizens through due process administered by our courts?

Can you point to a single place that I have attacked engineers as a group? I attack behavior of individuals or I attack behavior unconnected to any particular group or individual. I do not attack groups. In fact, I try hard to avoid attacking individuals or using fowl or abussive language towards people.

Above all, when I make a mistake - I'm willing to admit it. Can you say the same for yourself?

"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.