Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

But now that I've thought further…

I'll answer my own first question by saying that the sample rate doesn't change because if the sound didn't change, the groove would continue in the same way on the "new sample" anyway. That's on the assumption that this approach to calculating an equivalent is correct, but -

I now wonder about this whole approach, however. In digital, the sample rate determines the upper frequency limit which is half of the sample rate since you need at least 2 points to define the wave form. On this calculation for a n equivalent sample rate for vinyl, the sample rate on the inner groove is about half that of the sample rate on the outer groove. While there may be some variation in the upper frequency limit of vinyl between the inner and outer grooves, the upper frequencies on the inner groove don't seem to be compromised by anywhere near that degree in relation to the outer groove and these sample rates, if they were digital, would yield upper frequency limits of 16 kHz for the outer track and 8 kHz for the inner track. Vinyl definitely exceeds both of those frequency limits so I don't think this approach will work at all.

David Aiken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.