Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Cable shootout... Are all audio cables the same?

What electromagnetic wave are you talking about, cables at audio frequencies are FAR FAR too short to have any transmission line or wave behavior and there is no standing wave in audio cables.

To be clear too, the audio signal isn’t an electromagnetic wave, it’s a Voltage referenced signal, it is so starting at a microphone and ending with a loudspeaker and there isn’t anything about cables that make them “signal directional” with an AC signal.

If you don’t believe it’s ac, get an oscilloscope, set it to a DC or ground reference and look at any analogue signal you choose, or if you do digital, get a wave editor like cool edit and zoom in on the wave form, what do you see? Ans, a signal that goes positive and negative, just like the air pressure than we hear as sound.

Now I don’t doubt you can hear a difference, but it isn’t related to the signal passing through it and if this effect were actually present, it would be part of RF engineering where everything becomes more of an issue. Hell-ooo the effect is because you know which way the arrow points and when it’s “right’.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.