Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Cable article link

"Contrary to what the audiophile world thinks, skin effect doesn't come into play till you reach about 50kHz or so. Regardless of the metal copper, silver whatever. At 200Hz there is no "skin depth". "

Hmmmm. Bullshit!

Take a gander at the field of electromagnetic non-destructive testing, you will likely be shocked to discover that it's typically done at audio frequencies. The very reason is that most of the interesting electrical things that happen are in that region. Essentially the illuminated object can be modeled as an LR circuit producing a return phase shift that's a function of frequency. If you want a reference try to find a copy of Libby: Introduction to electromagnetic nondestructive test methods.

The rub is it that the signal couples back into the inducing circuit and you end up with varying phase shifts and losses as a function of frequency through the audible spectrum. Put another way, it smears transients.

It's simply a factor like many others and I'm not arguing that it's always a dominant one but on the other hand it might be. The audio bandwidth (>3 decades) is huge and we have very temporally sensitive receivers in our heads...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.