Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Absolute phase/polarity

There is a test for transducers. Loo at Stereophile's Step impulse test and measurements. Stereophile, themselves downplay the results, uttering such platitudes like the "downward slope of the tweeter blends smoothly into the inverted midrange driver".

Such nonsense. In their own (Atkinson's) explanation, the graphed measurement should look basically like a right triangle: with a sharp rise time and a slow decay. Aktinson, himself, writes That he has seen such graphs only on ten (!) models from 5 manufacturers (Thiel, Vandersteen, Quad, Dunlavy, and Spica.

With even well regarded systems like Wilson displaying such appalling performance, it is no wonder that absolute polarity can not be heard by most, Inverting polarity basically become half a dozen of one and six of another.

One notable speaker designer put it very well ( he is on the Atkinson list, BTW). And I quote "if perfect frequency response and time alignment and phase alignment were the goal of every manufacturers and designer, shouldn't there be a convergence of sound at a particular price point?"

I am fortunate that haved owned Spicas, Vandersteens, Quads, and Thiels. For me absolute polarity is clearly audible, because I modify my speakers within 90 degrees of being time aligned.

Of course YMMV

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Absolute phase/polarity - unclestu 16:43:54 08/05/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.