Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: The trouble with AES and ASA

"I would hope that you, as a manufacturer, are a member of one or both organizations, and have voiced your concern to them, and that you learn from papers presented by researchers in applicable fields."

I suspect they wouldn't think too much of me, either, you know, as someone much more interested how something sounds than how it measures.

"In any case, isn't the "debate" among audiophiles regarding the audibility of polarity/phase reversal really about quantifying - measuring - its audibility, via a statistical analysis of results under controlled conditions, rather than through anecdotal stories or off-the-cuff "tests"?"

No, actually the debate is about the differences in sound. I.e., is it audible, to what degree, what is it about the sound that changes? Things of that nature.

"I'm not sure why a manufacturer would pooh-pooh measurable science in favor of - what?"

Uh, in favor of how it sounds. In case you can't tell yet, I'm not real big on measurements.

"If you know of a professional organization which has better science presented in its publications, please tell me."

To be honest, I'd be much more interested in the opinion of someone who is rather experimental and who also knows what he's listening to.

Edits: 08/04/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.