Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Clean the Lens, GENTLY, not with Isopropyl Alcohol !!

FIRST off........Clean the lens propely, its bound to need it.

Jeff Medwin

Here is a post I found :

Old 4th February 2013, 09:39 AM #19
Mooly is offline Mooly United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Pleased you found it all useful

First thing has to be to clean the lens. It should look bright and shiny with a bluey tinge under a stong torch light. I know ISO (IPA) seems to get a universal recommend as a cleaner but its something I would never use on optics tbh. In the early days Sony even issued a warning to that affect saying that ISO could damage (the then newly introduced) "coated optics". Camera lens cleaner perhaps or just warm water with a single drop of detergent mixed in.

I doubt whether the sled is sticking tbh but that said you have to consider the possibilty. Monitoring the voltage across the sled motor in playback is a good clue. If it suddenly starts to rise its a good indication the sled has stuck. The voltage will keep rising until the motor overcomes the friction and the sled jerks forward.

Most likely is a faulty pickup. The KSS240 was notorious for giving trouble. A replacement should work straight off and is easy to fit.
___

Edits: 06/05/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Clean the Lens, GENTLY, not with Isopropyl Alcohol !! - drlowmu 22:01:04 06/05/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.