Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Music library backup transfer rate question

I get about nearly 100 MB/s speeds over a Gigabit Ethernet to/from my NAS. However, this is basically irrelevant for backing up my music library. I use SyncBackPro software which works on the file directories on the main volume and the backup volume. I have it configured so that it automatically backs up all new files on the audio PC to the NAS, but flags any other differences for my review. This way "cockpit error" such as accidentally deleting the main copy of a file doesn't propagate to the backup. Another problem with traditional backup software that is avoided with properly set up file sync software is that "bit rot" caused by disk hardware glitches won't propagate to backup copies. My backup software runs automatically every night, with the NAS only powered up for the duration of the backup. During the same period the NAS is powered up the usual operating system file backup software also runs on my other files.

I recently made a new and complete backup of my entire set of digital files, just about filling a 4 TB drive that was for offsite backup. That took over 24 hours, but the speed was good, as the external drive was connected via ESATA.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.