Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Marginally unstable amps

No, i wasn't, but paralleling the driven line with another one at ground potential does shield the hot lead a bit more.

The first time i heard of the frame ground lead was from an old time audio acquaintance, Roger Grodinsky. My boss and i were invited to his house and among the things he demonstrated was grounding the speaker frame as descried.
He insisted it made a big difference, my boss (a physicist) said he wasn't sure and asked if he could try an experiment. We sat and listened as he connected and disconnected the ground and we couldn't hear a difference.
My boss and he switched places and my boss opened and closed the circuit out of sight behind the speaker and Roger couldn't tell either which was puzzling so we went on with other things..
The reason it doesn't effect the loudspeaker driver end at all is that the voice coil that is connected to the amplifier, is insulated by many megohms of air gap from the metal frame which receives no electrical power.

Do you know what a ground loop is.
Did you know that the current in a speaker line is always fully balanced, equal but opposite currents?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.