Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Balanced Unbalanced Cable

Yeah. This is the problem that I have with the entire audio cable industry, not just one company.
I recently purchased a Velodyne subwoofer. I noticed their literature said that their subs do not require expensive interconnects to perform up to their potential. Just a good quality, well shielded cable. I called their customer service dept to discuss this surprising recommendation. I was told that the company recommends only 'buying the best cables that you can afford'. Why would they recommend connections that do not allow their products to display their best performance?
I was told that they don't want to step on anyone's toes, but expensive cables are not required. In other words, they don't want to start a war of words with cable manufacturers (my interpretation).
I am currently using Radio Shack's best grade of shielded interconnects, and still manage to get holographic results with certain recordings. Better results than I was getting with Kimber Hero and Nordost blue heaven interconnects that I was using previously.
By the way, I switched the connections from my preamp to amp from RCA to XLR balanced and am very pleased with the improved sound quality. Again, no expensive cables were used.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.