Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I miss Dick Heyser: knew him from '79 thru his death...

Now that I'm ill, I find myself prompted to reflect on his last year, and his courage and cheer. I can relate and perhaps was inspired more than I suspected. I had poured over his work after, though recollection fades, but memories of the man and the '80s come flooding back.

Your first two paragraphs stunned me, seeming perhaps an old post of mine that I'd forgotten. Physics in '78; acoustics engineer; student and admirer of Dick's work.

I was a colleague at JPL in acoustics and ultrasound, with Dick as a mentor at times, spending hours discussing audio and personal philosophy. After Doug Sax visited us in his office and gave us each LPs including test pressings, Dick gave his pile to me... Per his ethics as Sr. Editor. He tolerated no gray area.

I remember visiting the hospital while he wore a halo, his spine tumor disabling one arm. I believe he was AES Pres or emeritus. At an LA AES he gave his talk by phone. He was my first and perhaps best face-to-face audio influence, along with the Caltech course with James Boyk and a couple of CES shows with JA and Stereophile writers plus manufacturers I was meeting there.

After Dick's death, I helped Gene Pitts by removing some equipment from his widow's house. I even bought the Klipschorns Dick had recently reviewed for a family member. Dick was right - they did sound very realistic from outside the room, even outside the house!

Speaking of Dick's unflappable poise during his illness, I spoke about this with Richard Feynman, an infrequent acquaintance since the late '70s. Richard replied, "oh, that's not me at all... I kick and scream and cry." "Last time they took out 7 pounds. They said they got it all," he added with cynical disappointment. Later, I was comforted to hear that Richard had asked to remain conscious until the very end because, as we all have read of him by now, he wanted to experience everything.

Interesting and learned thread. Apologies for the rambling reflections.

--

Keep your ears honest: Listen to live, unamplified music every week.

Edits: 09/09/12 09/09/12 09/09/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.