Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You're making

mountains of molehills.

If the mikes are omnis then the phenomenon you mention has an obvious explanation.

If the mikes are your typical cardiod pattern, which is a heart shaped pattern with the indentation being at the mike, you are capturing the sound off the sides and slightly to the rear.

Now take applause: can you identify individual people clapping? I don't think so. Applause is basically random noise and it literally echoes off the sides of the venure. Directionality concerning applause is basically impossible, not to mention that you have tremendous issues with phase, particularly wince applause tends to have severe "bounce" off side walls.

A normal mike will pick up a lot of the applause as it echoes off the side walls and the reflectors over the performers. The mike can not distinguish individual people clapping ( at lest for normal clapping) and so your ears perceive the clapping as being being all around.

Next time, try standing on a stage while the audience is clapping. The sound completely engulfs you, even if you are on stage.

If you want to hear applause as it should try a discreet four channel recording, like Kimber's Iso mike recordings.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You're making - unclestu 18:42:56 06/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.