Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Two microphone stereo recordings

The sound out the back of the figure 8's can be a benefit, as it provides hall ambiance. If this proves excessive, the microphones can usually be moved closer.

The big downside of minimal microphones is that the musicians are responsible for the balance and it won't be easy to fix their mistakes. It will be impossible to "Autotune" bad vocalists, but that's a good feature, IMO :-)

Comb filtering is a big problem when spatially separated microphones are mixed into a single channel. It is less of a problem when each microphone has its own speaker, as the ear hears these two cases differently at high frequencies.

My late wife loved your "Train Start" recording. I will listen to the newer ones when I get the chance. But it will be on speakers, as I don't have any decent headphones, just a handset that I use for Skype.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Two microphone stereo recordings - Tony Lauck 09:23:36 05/31/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.