Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: The idea that the

Agree, "correct" doesn't apply to sound stage, as it is an illusion that depends on the listener. "Preferred" would be a better word.

However, when it comes to tonal balance, e.g. high frequency roll off or the lack there of, there is more of a natural reference, at least for acoustic music. The perceived tonal balance should correspond to the perceived tonal balance at some seat at a live performance, and the seat in question has to be somewhat plausible in light of amount of reverberation and volume. Unfortunately, recordings aren't made to a standardized playback, and if they are miked, mixed and/or EQed to sound good on a mastering system with one high frequency roll off they won't sound so good with a different one. (I presume that the reference system used to monitor the Mercury Living Classics recordings was somewhat rolled off based on the brightness of these recordings, compared, say to Lewis Layton's work on RCA.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.