Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Kavi's

recording technique sounds best if the speakers are at a 90 degree angle pointed directly at the listener. When oriented as such, the hall realism is very natural and rather spectacular at least to my hearing. Unfortunately not many want to reorient their speaker for one recording.

Another source of very realistic recordings is Kimber Kable's IsoMike technique. AS they now have professional musicians being recorded, the sonic realism makes them a joy to listen to.

Ray Kimber's approach is quite different: he tries to place the mikes in the typical position one would have their playback speakers. Unorthodox, but it seems to work very well. On one of his demo discs he has a track entitled Roll Call, whereby the choir, standing in a circle around the microphone array, simply calls out their individual names. Set up in surround sound, the presentation is extremely realistic and Kimber's Isomike technique utilizing four speakers in a surround sound mode has the most natural and realistic soundstaging I have heard thus far.

Stu

PS: It should be pointed out that Kavi's Russian recordings used a digital recorder. IIRC, Kavi actually borrowed the system Kimber uses. Prior to that, Kavi used a custom EAR one inch tape drive tubed reel to reel recorder. I'm not sure if Kavi used the same dual recorder set up that Ray uses, however.

Edits: 05/23/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Kavi's - unclestu 17:58:30 05/23/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.