Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive

Bang on Stu:

"In fact on some, like Tuxedo Cowboy, there are photos of the microphone set up ( single stereo mike)."

Single stereo mic, although not perfect, is the closet thing an audiophile will get to a recording that has capture any semblance of the acoustic properties of the venue (a binaural recording). After that, it's two separate mics. After that, it's multiple mics all over the darned place with mic mixers with God knows what relative mic polarity - in which case all bets are off.

But let the converted believe. If they're having fun, why shatter the illusion for them? Stereo "imaging", in the best case, is the visual equivalent of looking into a circus tent mirror. You barely recognize yourself. Instead of audiophiles being amused at soundstage placement, they strive to believe that what they are hearing is the equivalent of sitting there. If that's the case, I have one very fundamental question:

Which seat?

Besides. If you dare to object, your stereo is then damned - it's cast off to "not revealing enough land".

Not revealing enough indeed.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - Presto 09:09:47 05/23/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.