Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You're wasting your time...

...this is more blind leading the blind. They believe the venue acoustic properties are encoded in the recording and their stereo magically RECREATES the entire hall IN delicious 3D as if there was some sort impulse response convolution going on. If you can take some audiophiles and put them in a room and have them listen to recordings BLIND and tell me what hall the recordings were made in (if they were made in a hall at all) I will print this post off on 20 pound bond paper and eat it. You'll never see such an exhibit. They all are sitting there reading the liner notes - "Ah yes, indubitably, this is the Sydney Opera House... I knew it! I recall the acoustics very clearly... haw haw poo poo. Earlier that evening we had scallops prepared by the famous chef..."

Bla bla bla bla.

The closest thing stereo can do to "recreate" an "event" is the properly HRTF equalized binaural recording which is best realized with headphones rather than loudspeakers in room. Loudspeakers complicate the situation too much with their unique acoustic response (phase AND amplitude) and polar response which is affected by room boundaries, geometry, listening distances etc.

A $200 pair of headphones can reproduce the ambient info of a binaural recording better than even a $100,000 pair of loudspeakers so long as HRTF equalization is properly employed.

"If you can't hear (read: imagine) what I am hearing (read:imagining) then your speakers are simply not revealing enough..." is what everything written on this entire site boils down to. It's how all arguments begin and end. Remember this when you are considering how much time you spend debating here. The guy you're debating with right now, for example, is the audiophile equivalent of Jo Jo's Psychic Alliance.

Always consider the source, grand-daddy always used to say...

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.