In Reply to: Ah.... posted by unclestu on May 22, 2012 at 16:58:13:
"Would you compromise for an amp that has horrible specifications simply because it looks nice on the rack?"
Of course not Stu. In fact I truly don't care what my power amp looks like since it lives on the floor of a closet.
But speakers are another matter, they pretty much have to be in the room with you and that often means tradeoffs. That's where knowing the genre of main interest may help. Like you I don't need to reproduce ultra loud music because my main interest isn't rock concerts and sadly loud sounds now hurt my aged ears and I want to keep what dynamic range I have as long as possible! Even beyond sound the speaker concerns also extend to other's in the house and Wives, Kids and pets gotta be considered. At least a little...
"We need a measure of common sense in audio, and, as I see it, speakers are among the weakest point."
I suppose so, they surely have been traditionally. But I wonder if they aren't getting overall better, especially the affordable ones. I haven't been in the market for so long that I don't have a clue.
As far as distortion goes a lot depends upon it's nature. Usually speakers are the most linear for small displacements and run into troubles when loud. Since our ears also follow that pattern we may be less annoyed by it than by, say, crossover distortion in amplifiers.
Temporal anomalies and dispersion shifting over frequency are sort of speaker specialties and I think they can really snap you out of the music and make you aware that somethings artificial. Artifacts tend to do that...
Reviewer-wise I think that the readers would benefit most from having specialization where each only does a class or two of components. I realize that that might be more boring for them but that doesn't bother me a whit if they are paid professionals, it just goes with the territory!
I have a hard time seeing how any useful lateral comparisons can be done without systematic evaluation and changing other things in the system willy-nilly eliminates doing that effectively. Additionally a small library of 'reference' components should be kept to close the loop from time to time.
As you can imagine I don't put too much stock in reviews, well except for "Sam Tellig"'s. One piece of advice used to be to find a reviewer with similar ears and tastes and he seems to be mine... But he would be even better with a good testing structure!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Revisiting Heyser - BigguyinATL 10:29:33 05/16/12 (77)
- So far as I am concerned, THE brightest light in the last 30 years~nT - Cleantimestream 20:15:02 09/21/12 (0)
- RE: Revisiting Heyser - josh358 15:24:09 09/15/12 (0)
- I miss Dick Heyser: knew him from '79 thru his death... - Jim Stoneburner 01:30:43 09/09/12 (2)
- RE: I miss Dick Heyser: knew him from '79 thru his death... - John Atkinson 10:35:38 09/25/12 (1)
- Lovely to hear from you, John... - Jim Stoneburner 12:05:02 09/25/12 (0)
- RE: Revisiting Heyser - middleground 11:10:28 06/17/12 (0)
- RE: Revisiting Heyser - tomservo 11:49:31 05/20/12 (16)
- I've been a believer in this... - Presto 16:46:42 05/30/12 (12)
- Two microphone stereo recordings - Tony Lauck 19:54:39 05/30/12 (11)
- RE: Two microphone stereo recordings - tomservo 06:28:27 05/31/12 (10)
- Array systems for meassurement - BigguyinATL 12:05:09 05/31/12 (8)
- RE: Array systems for meassurement - zako 16:26:42 06/01/12 (7)
- What's so surprising - unclestu 17:57:56 06/01/12 (6)
- RE: What's so surprising - zako 13:52:34 06/02/12 (1)
- You're making - unclestu 18:42:56 06/04/12 (0)
- RE: What's so surprising - zako 13:44:47 06/02/12 (3)
- RE: Two microphone stereo recordings - Tony Lauck 09:23:36 05/31/12 (0)
- RE: Revisiting Heyser - briggs 17:21:22 05/27/12 (2)
- RE: Hologram - geoffkait 10:04:15 05/17/12 (52)
- Sorry, no hologram - BigguyinATL 11:54:36 05/17/12 (51)
- I would add, keep the phase correct. nt - Norm 08:09:37 06/12/12 (0)
- No need to apologize - geoffkait 12:53:33 05/17/12 (49)
- RE: No need to apologize - BigguyinATL 13:43:06 05/17/12 (48)
- RE: No need to apologize - geoffkait 13:58:48 05/17/12 (47)
- RE: You need to get a does of reality - BigguyinATL 10:07:02 05/18/12 (23)
- You're wasting your time... - Presto 08:56:35 05/23/12 (19)
- RE: You're wasting your time... - geoffkait 11:08:50 05/23/12 (18)
- And there it is. - Presto 14:16:12 05/23/12 (17)
- That willing suspension of disbelief - Tony Lauck 18:22:56 05/23/12 (16)
- The idea that the - Presto 08:50:37 05/24/12 (15)
- RE: The idea that the - Tony Lauck 08:02:15 05/25/12 (14)
- RE: The idea that the - Presto 09:16:38 05/25/12 (13)
- RE: The idea that the - Tony Lauck 09:38:04 05/25/12 (12)
- RE: The idea that the - Presto 10:13:36 05/25/12 (11)
- RE: The idea that the - Tony Lauck 10:39:34 05/25/12 (10)
- Try - email@example.com 23:01:08 06/27/12 (0)
- RE: The idea that the - Presto 09:15:04 05/28/12 (3)
- RE: The idea that the - Tony Lauck 13:21:09 05/28/12 (2)
- RE: The idea that the - tomservo 12:00:30 05/25/12 (4)
- Hopefully you're not suggesting your reality - geoffkait 12:39:05 05/18/12 (2)
- RE: No need to apologize - rick_m 07:57:26 05/18/12 (22)
- conflict between accuracy and impressive - unclestu 17:29:30 05/18/12 (14)
- There are exceptions... - E-Stat 08:41:10 05/27/12 (0)
- RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - Presto 09:09:47 05/23/12 (0)
- RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - Tony Lauck 15:58:44 05/21/12 (1)
- Kavi's - unclestu 17:58:30 05/23/12 (0)
- RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - rick_m 21:35:14 05/18/12 (9)
- RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - unclestu 15:54:16 05/21/12 (4)
- RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - rick_m 19:43:16 05/21/12 (3)
- RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - geoffkait 22:08:22 05/18/12 (3)
- RE: No need to apologize - BigguyinATL 10:11:33 05/18/12 (0)
- RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - geoffkait 08:48:59 05/18/12 (5)
- RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - rick_m 10:14:43 05/18/12 (4)
- RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - Tony Lauck 15:27:30 05/21/12 (1)
- RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - rick_m 16:28:07 05/21/12 (0)
- RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - geoffkait 16:45:26 05/18/12 (1)
- RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - rick_m 17:10:27 05/18/12 (0)
- RE: Revisiting Heyser - 1audiohack 18:23:50 05/16/12 (0)
- RE: Ah.... - rick_m 18:26:54 05/22/12 (1)
- We've - unclestu 18:15:23 05/23/12 (0)