Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Ah....

Would you compromise for an amp that has horrible specifications simply because it looks nice on the rack?

If music is the ultimate goal, I do not believe compromise is the answer. Musical Genres should not make a difference, and in my mind, any genre should sound good if the system is truly neutral. Environment? Perhaps, if you live in an absurdly extravagant home with a cavernous listening room or a hovel with a prison cell for a listening room. Industrial design is a non issue for me. Loudness, well if you are trying to reproduce rock concert levels, perhaps, but that's not for me: precision in a playback transducer means for my listening, lower volumes are satisfactory, and I still get a large soundstage to boot.

My chief complaint is that no reviewer has ever really taken any speaker design to task over obvious compromises in design and presentation. They can not or do not hear what influences these compromises present to the listener.

Again I harp on the case of Amar Bose who came out with a 500 watt receiver with 5% distortion because he claimed that 5% distortion was inaudible. It certainly was inaudible with a pair of Bose 901's because they had 5% distortion measured at one meter as evidenced by the reviews which came out at its introduction.

If that is typical, why bother with 104 dB s/n ratios in CD players, and why search for vanishing low distortion specs? We need a measure of common sense in audio, and, as I see it, speakers are among the weakest point.

of course YMMV

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ah.... - unclestu 16:58:13 05/22/12 (2)
    • RE: Ah.... - rick_m 18:26:54 05/22/12 (1)
      • We've - unclestu 18:15:23 05/23/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.