Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive

"It [lack of convergent speaker performance] simply means most designers are like chefs: they willingly alter the sound to please a specific market. They are NOT after true neutrality."

I suppose that's part of it. But even though my experience is microscopic compared to yours my take on speakers is that there are many factors in play which complicate optimizing any particular system. To wit:

-User preferences.
-Musical genres.
-Loudness.
-Environment.
-Significant others, including pets.
-Industrial design.
-Cost and availability.
-Perceived support.

But, despite all that I think there is a "house sound" and philosophy that can be useful for some periods of time. I'm on my second pair of similar Infinity speakers and so have had similar sound for... 34 years. It took a while because I ran low on fingers. But now the company's gone. Sigh. But I know that I like acoustic suspension woofers and film tweeters. But I also like AS woofers and good metal tweeters. What I loath are bass reflex (reflux) boom boxes and tweaters that breakup.

But does that mean they are more accurate than all other options? I doubt it. Stu, I think it's all a tradeoff and the key is finding technologies or implementations whose strengths you love and whose weaknesses you can tolerate.

One thing I've seen lately is more companies making very similar speakers just in different sizes. I really like that. A living room sized speaker isn't appropriate for a bedroom or study, I want the same sound but in different sizes and SPL's.

So... Am I typical or goofy? How many of your customers come in wanting something like they have only better or for an alternate environment vs those who want a whole new deal?

Not that there is any "right" answer of course, the hobby has many facets..

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: conflict between accuracy and impressive - rick_m 19:43:16 05/21/12 (3)
    • Ah.... - unclestu 16:58:13 05/22/12 (2)
      • RE: Ah.... - rick_m 18:26:54 05/22/12 (1)
        • We've - unclestu 18:15:23 05/23/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.