Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings

OK...

I agree that multi-channel sound "can help one follow the polyphony". But of course that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy even mono recordings. A lot of it is matching the technology to the source, the bigger the source...

I'm especially fond of pipe organs, always the gadgeteer I suppose, and I think that a lot of their sonic appeal is spacial as you are effectively inside the beasts. Probably a candidate for surround sound but I've never had a system. I believe stereo or more can make quite a difference with certain material but I've never noticed "pinpoint" imaging and such in concerts, actually I pretty much have to watch for the scraping of the bows to get a fix on the sound.

That being the case, I probably should be buying DVD's rather than CD's and SACD's. If I really want to go to the next level seeing seems more important than more audio channels.

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stereo is more about selling gear and recordings - rick_m 16:28:07 05/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.