Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I wonder if it is likely that the ratio of source impedance to destination impedance is a factor

My valve pre has a z out of about 600 ohms? (an NoS 12AU7 in cathode follower mode (Brimar 13D5) and feeds two valve amps whose input impedance is many times that of the average SS amp. The major difference I hear in my system for the longish pre-power run is noise and RFI.

The current quite long interconnects (14 feet) are coaxial digital network cable, bendy but still stiff. 'BRAND-REX LTD DIGITAL 1701248 20AWG SHIELDED TYPE 60degC (UL)’. I think it's LAN cable Char Z is 50 ohm IIRC.

It isn't bright, or tizzy, or boomy or muddy or anything. Some real stereo recordings have so much depth it's weird, though. And all the music sounds just fine. It is a bit quieter than the Neuman mike cable I was using, and it was cheaper.

I do use some VDH IC's, between sources and the pre-but mostly I make up my own.

Short spkr wires are a GOOD idea.

On this matter, you're not crazy!

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I wonder if it is likely that the ratio of source impedance to destination impedance is a factor - Timbo in Oz 17:20:11 01/01/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.