Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Well, I've been mulling around another idea for what's the sound of low res CD makes worst of all

I've found the depth of image to be largely a function of the recording, especially the capture techniques. High resolution can help map this back into our homes. Different listeners care about different things and I value what I regard as a 'natural' perspective. Oddly I believe that it can be done by excellent microphone and recording techniques or by clever studio work, in the latter case the 'environment' is virtual and so is the performance.

My largest loves musically are Classical and Opera and Pipe Organs. The one thing I DON'T hear when I'm at the performance is 'pinpoint' imaging and great depth, the hall is, for good or ill, part of the sound. Soloists can be localized pretty well but still looking at them is the thing that nails 'em down. An exception is outdoor concerts. We have a symphonic band in town that gives an early July concert in a park that sort of forms a grass amphitheater with trees behind the performers so you can sit around on blankets on the grass and listen. They use a PA for announcements but the music is clean. In that case you really CAN hear the location of the players in all three dimensions and I love it. It's not loud, but it's beautiful.

I think you're right about depth and imaging being largely a HF thing. It's amazing how anything in the vicinity of the speakers that causes reflections or re-radiation messes up both the depth and violins.

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.