Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: "Ordinary" magnet wire

Hi
I don’t know if it is the same work but I did some consulting for Gary Kendall at Northwestern U once, who was investigating “stereo hearing” and he commented that in the investigation he did, that some people were able to detect an inter-aural difference corresponding to one wl at 200KHz.

Now, in questioning, he explained that was a time difference one detected and NOT a reflection on the bandwidth of ones hearing.

It was his finding that with the equipment of the day (in the early 90’s) that a sampling rate of 200KHz was sufficient to capture what we could detect (by monitoring brain waves) if not consciously hear. Some of the hf things seem to involve a brain response but no conscious awareness of it, that is to say you register a sound physiologically but you don’t hear it per say. That is different than hearing loss where you don’t register the sound or hear it.

Fwiw, to reproduce a square wave well enough that it looks essentially perfect on an oscilloscope, the system needs a bandwidth that extends from about 1/10 to about 10X the fundamental F.
Best,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Ordinary" magnet wire - tomservo 11:34:26 10/29/10 (1)
    • Kunchur - Tony Lauck 12:21:12 10/29/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.