Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: One can not have a high end system without a suitable room

>Are you disagreeing with my statement that the room is the most important component?<

Yes, I do!

You will obtain very different results in different locations of the speakers within the same room:

Olive et al. (1994), “The effects of loudspeaker placement on listener preference ratings”, J. of Audio Eng. Soc., p.651
Bech (1994), “Perception of timbre of reproduced sound in small rooms: influence of room and loudspeaker position”, J. of Audio Eng. Soc., p.999

You will obtain very different results in different locations of the listening chair within the same room:

Salava (2004), “Imperfections at low frequencies – how much are they audible or annoying?”, Audio Eng. Soc. Preprint 6144

The room doesn’t change, but the result does. Behaviour and perception of bass depend on placement of speakers and listening chair. Effects of early reflections depend on placement of speakers and listening chair and on the speakers’ off-axis behaviour. Since there is interaction of room and speakers you cannot separate the two and say the room is most important, placement is most important, the speakers are most important. You can put the best speakers in the world in a room built to all the audiophile standards you know, if you put speakers and yourself in the wrong place, the result may be disappointing.

In the same room, badly designed speakers will cause more problems than well designed speakers. Most people don’t know or don’t care, yet think that high-end is a label for quality.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.