Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: What other standpoint is there?

"You put the same software on any Win7 machine and it works exactly the same."

This is not true. The processor must support the instructions that are used in the software. The software must not call on drivers that are missing on a particular machine, etc. Even if all the operating system calls work as intended then with different hardware the actual execution of instructions will vary, including the speed of operation (which will affect the sequence of computation and I/O) and the pattern of memory references (a function of page faults and cache misses, etc.).

Not to mention the myriad (hyper-astronomical) ways a system can be configured, many of which will affect the performance and ability of a computer system in real-time applications, such as audio. At least in the past, some computer vendors bundled their own extensions to Windows with their products. These have had deleterious affect on system performance on occasion.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.