Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I should correct you on your logic, too.

I debated with myself whether to bother, but it's clear you do not know what the fallacy of arguing from an authority is. Of course, accepting arguments from authorities in their own fields is not a fallacy. It's arguing that because someone is expert in one field, that he/she must be expert is some unrelated field. Some here were shocked when someone asked jj if he would reject an opinion in psychometrics from Einstein: jj said he would because Einstein was not an expert in psychometrics whereas he (jj) is, and is familiar with other expert opinions in that field.

carcass93
"Also, what do you think about supposed deficiencies of stereo reproduction, quoted in my original post? Is your system, for instance, affected by any of these? If it's not, and supposed issues are actually non-issues in your opinion - would you call the person who made those arguments QUALIFIED to talk on the subject of high-quality sound reproduction?

Please don't stray into listing Olive's credentials or body of work, relevant or not - just a simple question, based on that, or many other like it, quotes from him."

Of course, you have just improperly excluded the things that are relevant to whether Sean Olive is an expert on high quality sound reproduction and you want to use an irrelevant criterion, to wit, whether one finds one's own stereo system deficient in certain ways.

Sure, my 2 channel stereo system doesn't have a center channel. Whether that's a deficiency depends on your point of view. According to Sean's preferences, it is, and also research going back many decades indicates a center channel can add add to realism. I've not been notably impressed with stereo played through a multichannel system, though in that system it was better than without. But then, I've not heard the system(s) Sean uses, and apparently, neither have you. His equipment seems to threaten you.

Sean thinks that a center channel can enable the stereo image to be wider, more stable, and less colored than in stereo. Stereo is an illusion which manages to sometimes be plausible, as Julian Hirsch used to say. Not having heard Sean's system, I don't know whether I would prefer to hear stereo recordings over it.

The same thing with the sense or feeling of envelopment and spaciousness. I haven't heard Sean's system so I don't know whether I would prefer it or not. You don't pretend to have heard it, either, though you obviously feel threatened by it.

Now, when you bring up whether Sean Olive is a qualified expert on high fidelity sound reproduction, this is rather more complicated than whether I am pleased with my own system or not. In fact, it is irrelevant. Sean is qualified as an expert in high fidelity sound reproduction by his training and his accomplishments in research. It's the same with a physican or a lawyer: they are qualified in virtue of their training and experience. In neither case does that come under the argument from authority fallacy.

What is clear is that Sean Olive's preference for listening to stereo recordings through upmixing to multichannel is not particularly relevant to to the question of whether he is an expert on the reproduction of sound. You have employed the fallacy of an irrelevant argument, often know as the "Red Herring" fallacy.

Why are you so threatened by scientific enquiry?
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.