Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You're the one confused.

As is Robert Young. Many times I have pointed out that there are universal and particular propositions. In this case, Sean Olive was referring to the sense of envelopment and spaciousness in this particular system which he prefers to what is found in stereo (in which the meaning is general). Now, I have no idea why you and Robert Young would confuse universal and particular as you both seem intelligent enough to know the difference--possibly to get at me, possibly laziness, possibly some other reason. C93 and E-stat have their own agendas.

But check out this from post no. 75 in the HA thread, linked below, where Sean Olive said:

"I agree that the discussion on 2 channel versus multichannel is off topic and I am happy to abandon it.

"I only brought it up because we seem to have people in this forum willing to sit in a tiny sweet spot while listening to overpriced, directional speakers with terrible off-axis response that we are told are both highly room-dependent and loudspeaker/listener position dependent -- all for the purpose of what? To listen to stereo, which Bell Lab scientists said back in the early 1930s was completely inadequate to convey the realism of a live music performance to an audience.

"For me, that is a terribly misguided use of effort and money because there too many inherent compromises in sound quality, given what is possible today with music recording and reproduction science and technology. We can do so much better, and we should.

"As an industry we have failed to learn and acknowledge the Bell Lab science that is almost 80 years old! And we are now repeating ourselves by ignoring the loudspeaker science that has been known since the mid-1980s from Floyd Tooles' work at the National Research Council."

-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.