Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Since you haven't followed the discussion . . .

Thank you for being specific. Now we can specifically disagree. Perhaps c93's restatement is not a perfect paraphrase of the original, but it seems like a reasonable summary to me. It is definitely not a total misrepresentation.

Having used a center channel speaker in the summer of 1962 the three of us, Brad Meyer, Clark Johnsen and I found that it was beneficial on some material, e.g. the stereo Mercury Living Presence recordings, It was possible to increase the angular separation of the left and right speakers from the listening position, with the amount depending on the level of the center speaker. For most recordings the benefit was slight, certainly not enough for any of us to go to a three channel system once our group split up and we went our separate ways. The center speaker was mostly an experiment that we tried because we had lots of speakers and amps sitting around that summer.

In my experience if one has imaging problems then this is best addressed with system set up, especially speaker positioning and other room related adjustments. There are many ways stereo recordings are made and it may even be necessary to make adjustments according to the recording. If the setup is sound then it is usually possible to fine tune for a particular recording by adjusting the listening position. (Of course in all cases one must adjust the playback gain and polarity for each recording.) Even with 5 speakers, 7 speakers, or 1000 speakers, if you are playing only two channel material you've got nothing more than a big stereo system, and probably not a very good one at that for various reasons (such as probable comb filtering).

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.