Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Since music reproduction is imagined anyway...

Why not use whatever means to create the input to that imagined event. I will find myself switching between Logic7, DTS, Dolby and Stereo reproduction all the time. Once I settle on a section I note the setting on the "liner" notes.

I was an early adopter of digital delay systems in the 1980, and still have - though no longer use my Advent 500 Delay unit. I have paid careful attention in the setup of my surround modes so that they are all level matched - even to stereo only. It's easy to make a surround sound system sound awful. Think about how much time you have spent "dialing in" your front system speakers. It takes a lot longer to do this for a surround system.

Some recordings are just terrible in surround sound though - sometimes. I think, because the producer adds his own idea of "Ambiance" to the mix. One classic example is SuperTramp's "Crime of the Century" No mater how I set up my system it sounds best in Stereo, with the ambiance in the production sending the sound all around the room.
"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Since music reproduction is imagined anyway... - gymwear5@hotmail.com 08:41:38 06/29/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.