Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Stereo vs. multichannel: what are your thoughts on this statement (inside).

"How do *you* measure "more accurate?" And how do *you* measure "more musical?" the answer to these questions really sets aprameters of any further discussion and the answers will not be the same for all audiophiles. I think the quest for "accuracy" is a bit of an open can of worms. Accuracy has no meaning without a reference and in audio the choice of reference is..well, let's say an interesting one."

-- In the case of transducers you measure and compare the frequency response of what is coming out of the transducer to the signal going into it. By necessity this requires measuring close, in an anechoic chamber. While I fully recognize the inherent weaknesses -- you can't measure stereo, or imaging this way, we don't listen at 1 meter in an anechoic chamber, etc, etc, I'm also aware of my own preferences. There are speaker manufacturers who deliberately color the output, the most common examples being the mid-bass hump to create "deep bass" in small speakers, and the upper midrange air or sizzle, to create the illusion of detail. Then there are those manufacturers, usually very conservative, often working in the pro market, who endeavor to produce speakers that put out an accurate reflection of the signal that is sent in. They never get it quite right. Transducers are the weak link and always have been. But I found, many years ago, that I preferred those conservative, some even say boring speakers over the others.

Musical? You can't measure musical in equipment, because "musical" is an audiophile conceit. Music is musical. Equipment is reproductive. Except when it is wrong. :)

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.