Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Are We Hard-Wired To Prefer The Audio Components We Do?

The research paper doesn't directly bear on that question of whether our brains are hard-wired to prefer specific kinds of audio components, so the correct answer is undetermined.

Having some small acquaintance with preference tests, I suspect there is a range of preference strengths between "fundamental pitch listeners" and "spectral pitch listeners." They don't give any indications in the abstract of the proportions of people who come under each category.

Naturally, I wonder under which type of listener they would classify me. I note that I like most of the instruments on both lists, "guitar, piano, trumpet, or flute" on the one hand, and "bassoon, saxophone, french horn, violoncello, or organ," on the other. I am unable to determine from the abstract what sort of drums they have in mind, but many of them certainly have their place, from the big, deep orchestral bass drums, through kettle drums, tables, snare drums, and so on. On the other hand, I am a singer and we are supposed to be spectral pitch listeners. So I would guess that I would be fairly close to the middle but leaning slightly more toward spectral listening.

I do tend to prefer somewhat slower tempos than when I was young, but that may be a consequence of age. In any case, it depends on the piece and I listen and perform music with a variety of tempos.

As you know, there has been considerable research at the National Research Council in Ottawa and elsewhere on the characteristics people prefer in speakers. They found that people with normal hearing tend to prefer the same characteristics in speakers. It is not obvious how the listener types delineated in Schneider, et al., would relate to speaker preference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Are We Hard-Wired To Prefer The Audio Components We Do? - Pat D 09:11:48 04/25/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.