Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

My Response Albeit Tardy

Clifff,

Besides room improvements, I believe all anyone can do to taylor the sound of their system is to change interconnects, speakerwire, amps, preamps (in my case I use an integrated) and speakers. Besides the fact that I believe tubed equipment sounds the best, it also offers another method of tayloring the sound by the chaging of tubes.

I can even tell you how many different 12AU7-type tubes I tried. Here's a list of EVERY 12AU7-type I located and believe it or not there's more I couldn't locate. I tried the 12AU7A, 12AU7WA, 5814, 5814A, 5963, 6067, 6189 <<< (Mazda "chrome-plates of these are my personal favorite) 6680, 7730, B749, CK5814, CV4003, CV491, E82CC <<< (RFT "yellow lettering of these are my second favorite 12AU7-type) ECC802, ECC802S, ECC82 & M8136.

But not only did I try different 12AU7 types Clifff, I tried the same types from different manufacturers such as: Amperex, Bugle Boy, Brimar, Cifte, Electro Harmonix, GE, Haltron, Marconi, Mazda, Mullard, Philips, Raytheon, RCA, RFT, RT, Siemens, Sylvania, Telefunken, Tesla, Tungsram & Tungsol. I don't even want to think of how much $$$$$ I spent to find my 2 favorite 12AU7-type tubes.

Most of the time these tubes offered subtle differences that gently but truly allows one to taylor how there system sounds. Sometimes the differences were a lot more pronounced which was precisely the case when after trying virtually every 5687 type I could find, I replaced my favorite Tung-Sol 5687s with Bendix 6900s.

So Clifff that's how I personally alter, adjust or taylor the sound of my audio system. Sorry again for the delay in my response.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • My Response Albeit Tardy - thetubeguy1954 13:09:39 04/24/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.