Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Technical vs. psychoacoustic accuracy

These are not two different beliefs, simply two different definitions.

One is indicated by the image of a straight wire with gain, that the amplified signal is so very similar to the input signal that no difference can be heard.

The other is that the final result should sound like the real thing, and it really does take more to do that at home than a mere amplifier and a stereo system.

TG54
"Finally for Pat D who seems to need the blatantly obvious explained to him, when listening to amps it is required that a source, wires and speakers be used. I cannot believe anyone needs to be told this, but sadly Pat D does, or else he'll comment on how can an amp make a sound by itself!"

Well, why not just say that? Attributing pyschoacoustic accuracy to a mere power amplifier just confuses communication. The recording, the speakers, the room acoustics, and signal processing are more critical than which amplifier is used, as long as the amplifier is suitable.

I have linked to an article by Wes Philips on a system worked up by jj when he was with AT & T.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.