Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Two possible answers.

Hi Klaus,

I've asked myself that very question. Having spent my career working in the sorts of areas on your list, why haven't I seen this. Here's a couple of thoughts:

1. We've never looked for it...

I can always tell the posters and authors that haven't done engineering for a living. They really believe that all is known and that your degree means you know it. That specifications are omniscient, that no design is released if there any unresolved questions and that all production instances are identical. Oh, if only that were true!

For example, years ago I was just getting ready to release a product that used a magnetic sensor at 6KHz and could resolve 0.01 degrees of phase shift. I needed a little longer cable so I switched loops and was surprised that the second one was noticeably quieter. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have done some serious testing to see if winding or cable directions were some of the pesky uncontrolled factors.

2. Audio may by a worst case...

-It has an exceptionally wide bandwidth, the only thing I know of that's wider is video.

-Home audio is plagued by an unbalanced, mismatched interface which is just asking for trouble.

-The areas of it's bandwidth that contain some of the most critical information are just where the typical cable is passing through the fastest skin-effect modulation.

-Our hearing is more subtle and sensitive than we used to believe.

I used to think that if a cable was good at a GHz, how could it fail to be good for audio, I mean that's practically DC! If you have no reason to suspect problems, and the system's measurements are adequate who would think to go around reversing cables?

We tend to find that which we look for. All system vary from unknown or uncontrolled factors. Wiring "directionality" may be one of them.

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Two possible answers. - rick_m 09:29:22 04/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.