Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Most of the answers are prefaced by "that depends ...."

Clifff,

What you stated is correct concerning solid state and tubed amps. But I was refering specifically to what Aczel stated in his review of the MC8x100 amp. When commenting about the Sound Aczel stated: As I have pointed out innumerable times, a properly designed amplifier has no sound of its own. It is impossible for two amplifiers to sound different at matched levels if each has high input impedance, low output impedance, flat frequency response, low distortion, low noise floor, and is not clipped.

So for two solid state amps...

1) What figure represents what high input impedance is?
2) What figure represents what low output impedance is?
3) What level of deviation +/- 1dB, +/- 3dB, +/- 5dB etc. and what range of frequencies 20-20Khz, 10-100Khz, 1-1Mhz etc constitutes flat frequency response?
4) What figure represents what low distortion is?
5) What figure represents what low noise floor is?

and then...

1) Who deteremined these figures represent the acceptable or correct answers?
2) Is there detailed, documented proof that these are in fact the acceptable or correct answers and are they truly scientifically supported? Or are these figures arbitrarily reached?
3) Are there peer reviewed published studies available that proves these answers are in fact truly scientifically supported and agrees with the results of the detailed, documented proof? If not why are these figures still accepted?
4) Are there peer reviewed published studies available that disproves these answers are in fact truly scientifically supported and disagrees with the results of the detailed, documented proof? If there are, why are these studies rejected?

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.