Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You're right. Qualified or not, he experiement is flawed.

Norm:

You're right. He could be qualified. I don't know that. But if he IS a qualified experimenter, he should be ashamed of himself. The experiment in no way satisfied the requirements of a *true* scientific method.

-He did not state his hypothesis properly.
-He did not state the control and dependent variables.
-He did not list the software and hardware used to record the samples
-He did not list all levels and settings of said software
-He did not prove out his recording rig to test for consistency
-He did not explain why one file had fade effects and the other did not

A qualified experimenter would have done MUCH more to establish the validity of their experiment. This little "test" is not a true experiment. I plan to do some recording here, list all of my software and hardware, and attempt to show how synchronization (time) plays a role in A/D conversion and results in different sample sets for the same analog material. (I will try and produce similar results that Mr. Lattesurf is obtaining with no freezer effect or any other effects except for the recording process itself.)

In the mean time, I think Posy should perhaps refer us to other experiments, or have Mr. Lattesurf refine his extremely crude scientific method.

Besides. The first and single most important question was never asked, adressed or answered in the first place:

CAN we test for the "Freezer effect"? And if so... how?

I think lattesurf and Posy are jumping the gun. They have not established HOW to test for the freezer effect, ASIDE FROM USING UNCONTROLLED LISTENING TESTS.

If uncontrolled listening tests are the only way, then this topic should be filed under "yet another amazing subjective and unsubtantiable audio claim" and discussion of it on PHP should cease.

Then people can decide for themselves whether or not to experiment further, "just believe" or just move on.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.