Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: "Couldn't find anything on this. what did they test? Amps? cables? what were the results?"

> Audibility of absolute polarity (not audible).>

Oh. Not very exciting for me. I couldn't detect differences with music under sighted conditions. saw no reason to go further with blind tests.

> There aren't many scientific tests of amps/cables etc., because scientists don't care much about that.>

I don't think there are any and I think you are dead on about the reason why. It just isn't important.

> However there are tons of DBTs of the audibility of various aspects of audio.>

Hearing thresholds and such. Indeed I have read many of them. I think many of those old studies are overdue for updates but I agree that there is a substantial body of research on human hearing acuity.

> The claim was that DBT isn't "scientifically validated" for testing audio. I'm not sure what that means, but if it means not scientifically valid, evidently scientists and journal editors and referees disagree. >

So do I. But the basic discussion was the age old debate between subjectivists and objectivists over the audibility of a particular range of products. My position is pretty simple on that when it comes to the actual science. There really isn't much. So objectivists claiming to have science on thier side are simply misrepresenting science. Science,real science, as I have said so many times, really isn't involved in this debate.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.