Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Oops. Isolation spikes?

Cheap-Jack:

"FYI, all my audio components, from DVD-audio, CD player, tape deck, phonostages, power amps, even speaker stands, are all seated on three-in-a-set identical tuned acoutical tiptoes or spikes of steel or alloys. These isolation devices do help sharpening the imaging & improving soundstaging for obvious technical reasons."

You mean coupling spikes... right?

3 spikes facilitate natural levelling. They also maximize the weight/unit area that the device applies to the stand. Thus, when soundwaves exert force on the panels of the device, it is less prone to vibration as it was when it sat on four much larger feet.

The spikes only work when the stand itself it coupled to the floor (via more spikes), and the floor is quite rigid.

True isolation devices include air-filled rubber tubes, magnetic "levitation" devices and other devices that ultimately dampen (or completely isolate) mechanical energy to prevent it from being transferred to the device that is being isolated.

Common misconception - that I once held myself.

I would suspect your spikes are working just fine - to provide coupling of your components to your stand, and stand to your floor.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.