Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: what exactly is peter belt selling?

Continued :-
The 'free' techniques we give may seem weird to say the least but they were described so that people had a chance to be able to try to prove, for themselves, some of the things which Peter was describing.
For example. Placing a plain piece of paper under one of four feet of a piece of equipment. ANY one of four feet of anything !!
There is a peculiarity in Nature - what Peter and I refer to as an 'odd and even rule'. We do not know all the times when it happens nor why it happens but it is present a lot of the time.
Break the even pattern of the four feet by placing one piece of paper under one foot and you will have an improvement in the sound. Put TWO layers of paper under one foot or put one piece of paper under TWO of the four feet and you will experiences a deterioration in the sound.
Quite a number of years ago a TV programme featured Peter and his concepts. Peter was filmed at the TV presenter's home, showing Peter demonstrating the technique of placing a plain piece of paper under one of the four feet of a piece of audio equipment.
What the TV viewing public did not see was the cameraman and the sound recordist smiling and nodding at the improvement in the sound !!!

In my discussions on the Stereophile Forum I noted the fact that John Atkinson used the Myrtle Wood Blocks under equipment and found that they improved his sound - but, as John admitted, he had no explanation as to why. I explained that the producers of the Myrtle Wood Blocks recommended that they be used in threes as the sound was best if used in threes, but I also described the following experiment. After listening to three of the wood blocks under a piece of equipment, place four of these wood blocks under a piece of equipment and the sound would be perceived as worse. To get the better sound back, then one would have to either add a fifth block or remove the fourth block. Again - the odd and even rule - nothing whatsoever to do with 'vibrations !!!!! 'Dealing with vibrations' would be the tentative explanation most people would put forward !!

Tie a Reef knot in a cable and you will gain an improvement in the sound but tie TWO reef knots in the SAME cable and you will experience a deterioration in the sound. To get the improved sound back you will either have to tie a third Reef knot in the cable or remove the second Reef knot !!!
The Reef knot experiment was also introduced to enable people to realise (without spending any money !!) that cables, ALL cables, whether on audio equipment or other electrical equipment (such as table lamps, electric clocks, vacuum cleaners etc) were a problem in the environment. As a Reef knot can be undone and tied as many times as you like, then you can do as many before, after and back to before experiments as you wish !!

Human beings do not like right angles. So, we introduced the experiment of attaching small pieces of quarter round doweling to as many right angles as possible. To show people that if they 'heard' improvements in the sound, then the additional information they were hearing 'had been there, in the room, all the time' - they just had not been able to resolve it correctly !!

We had begun to realise (after we had discovered that magnets and batteries were a problem regarding sound) that we (human beings) are sensitive to polarised objects !!
All batteries, whatever their size or shape or whoever made them have a positive and a negative so they are always a polarised object.
Magnets, whatever their size or shape or whoever made them have a North and a South, so they will always be a polarised object.
When we went back and did all the earlier experiments again we found that - using our newly found knowledge - we could now 'treat' the batteries and 'treat' the magnets so that they could still be in the room but be less of a problem (for human beings) !!

We found that we could use the 'treated' batteries as 'beneficial devices' around the room and gain improvements in the sound each time. So, what came next ?

Well, the remarkable story (22 years ago) of 'treating' hearing aid batteries !!!!

Jeromelang's sentence "i doubt anyone will publish this on-line (and risked being ridiculed)" could not be truer as our personal experience has shown !!

And Presto's "But if you got people preferring the 'freezered' thing 7/10 or more times - then heck we gotta figure out what's at work there."

Just what do you think Peter has been doing these past 25 years, Presto ? Surely that's EXACTLY what he has been doing ? Trying to figure out what's at work there. !!!!!!

Which, it appears from many of the 'postings' from certain people this past week, is a completely alien concept to some people - some people seem to want such 'cut and dried', 'already proven' evidence and seem not to want to do experiments of their own.

It is too easy to hide behind the truisms of "Science works by being checked by peer group review" "Science works by double blind trials" "Whoever has a concept must first prove it thoroughly before it can be considered by us (serious !!!) scientists"
All these things can happen - eventually - that is why they are 'truisms' and anyone would be a fool to argue against 'truisms' but the world of discoveries is NOT as SIMPLE as that !!!
Never has been and never will be. You have to 'tease out' what Nature does and how Nature does it.
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.